-->

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Meeting Mr. Batman

My mom arrived last saturday, which means that I'm kicked out of the room for the time being and crashing on the couch. And since i'm not a very heavy sleeper, yesterday morning, at 4 am, i woke up to a sudden clicking sound in the backroom....

Confession time: i have a fear of sounds in the dark. And so naturally, I went into full alert mode and the first thing that came to mind was, "oh sh*t there's a burglar in the house."... not gonna lie, I went through some pretty awful scenarios (i need to stop watching criminal minds). But then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something black flutter by....
what.
wait.. is that a bird?? holy...
If anyone knows me, I have a great dislike for living things that do not belong in the house. This means, anything thats not human, dogs, or cats, need to get the F out.  Without wasting a split second, I jumped up and flicked on that light switch so fast. And then I ran. I never run.
"MOM MOM THERES A BIRD IN THE HOUSE"
"What??? Go back to sleep."
"NO MOM THERE IS A BIRD IN THE HOUSE"
".... JUST GET YOUR BLANKET AND COME IN HERE"
"NO! YOU GO GET MY BLANKET. I'M NOT GOING OUT THERE"
ugh mothers are so brave.

I closed the door tight, and then about 30 minutes later... started drifting off to sleep... but then. wait. what is that?
HOLY
IS THAT THE BIRD IN THE ROOM FLYING ABOVE ME?!
"MOM WAKE UP THE BIRD IS IN THE ROOM"
and then i opened the door and ran again.
And that's when i learned that if something bad is in the room and i'm with someone... I will leave you behind without a second thought.

My mom bravely grabbed a roll of wrapping paper and hit the bird. it flew out of the room and then i shut the door but this time, covered the space between the door and floor.

Come morning time, the bird had disappeared. I searched high and low for cracks and tears... but nothing. In fact, my sister didn't believe me and she asked "are you sure it wasn't a spiritual bird?"
Sometimes, i really think she's cray cray. "And my mom told me "stop wasting your time. the bird probably left"

It wasn't until later that night, while exercising, that I realized the bird could potentially be a bat. Afterall, a bird can't fit itself through a 1 inch wide crack. right? And so we rushed home, to which by then, the bat had come out of its hiding spot and my brother in law had already locked it in the backroom.

And so here's what i've learned about bats since yesterday night:
1) bats are more prevalent in august!
2)  If you find a bat in the winter time, it's most likely that you have a bat problem
3) there's a less than 1% chance that the bats you encounter have rabies, but you should NEVER touch one
4) DO NOT call pest control. Call your local police and they will connect you with the right people
5) DO NOT let the bat fly out. you need to have the bat tested for rabies. Also, don't kill the bat. They need its head for the testing-- it's probably a good thing that my mom made me go back to bed. Otherwise, we would have been scared and in panic our main priority would be to NOT be in the same house as a bat.
6) Due to the small fangs of bats, its hard to tell if you've been bitten. Also, you're most likely not going to feel a bat bite you.
7) Bats can crawl through super small spaces... like 1/4 of an inch small.
8) bats are kind of cute.. like little mice.. but with fangs... actually they're kind of gross because they fly around. i hate flying things.

And that is the story of how I met Mr. Batman.

**sidenote:
In Korean culture, bats flying into your home is considered good luck! considering that the bat followed me from the living room into the bedroom.... maybe i've got some good luck coming my way! or ... rabies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...