-->

Saturday, July 26, 2014

What's In a Baby's Name?

Sister #1 is having a baby girl very very soon! Coming from a very opinionated family of mostly girls, my sister is having trouble deciding a baby's name. She has about a month left before the arrival of my niece, and she's still struggling with the whole thing! So i asked her to write about what she looks for in a baby's name.


We have a few months left until the baby’s due and we still don’t have a name.  Here’s the criteria I’ve come up with.

Must have:

1.       A good meaning- I know that some people can choose a name based solely on how they like the sound of a name, regardless of what the name means. But for me, the meaning is extremely important. A non-negotiable.
2.       My husband and I both have to like it- This might sound like an obvious one, but I’ve known some couples where one spouse was so set on a name and unwilling to compromise, the other person just gave in, even if they didn’t really like the name.  I figure it takes two people to make a baby and I expect both of us to actively take a role in raising this child, so we might as well both like it!
3.       Not too common- If it’s in the top 20 list of popular names, I don’t like it.  I don’t want my kid to be the 3rd Madison in her class (no offense to this name! I actually really like it, but I know too many people who named their kid Maddie.)
4.       Easy to pronounce for my parents.  This eliminates a lot of names with “L” and “R”…

Nice to have:

1.       My sisters and mom like it- Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at things), the women in my family are very vocal in their opinions.  My husband doesn’t understand (he’s from a family of 3 boys).  His thought is that it’s our child, so we should just pick a name we like and that’s all that matters.  My problem is that I value the opinion of my family, so it’s hard for me to just pick a name without asking what they think.  It’s already difficult finding a name that both the hubs and I love, adding three more people into mix of things make it’s quite difficult (luckily, my dad doesn’t have an opinion on this one).
2.       2 syllables- I just feel like names are easier to say with 2 syllables. I also have a preference towards names that end in “ee” sound. But out of the entire list, this is the most negotiable item.

Now, is that too much to ask for?? Hahaha.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...